Homework Due THIS CLASS
- Complete Value Range Research
- Complete Value Self Portraits
- Post your portraits as a gallery to the Visual Library for critique.
- Choose your best portrait and save the original (from your camera/phone) to Dropbox, GDrive or a thumb drive.
- Add your Field Trip post to the class site.
- Make sure to use the Category: Field Trip Reflections
Materials Needed THIS CLASS
- sketch book (9″x12″)
- graphite drawing pencils (6B, 2B, HB, 2H, 4H)
- eraser (magic rub, mars, gum or similar)
- flash/thumb drive
Field Trip Reflections
Let’s look at your field trip reflections from our visit to the Brooklyn Historical Society to see An Opening: Artist Kameelah Janan Rasheed’s Sound and Art Installation
- Did your caption your photo with the artist’s or creator’s name?
Visual Library: Hand Portraits
Let’s designate a facilitator and take a look at your new Visual Library posts, specifically your gallery of hand portrait images exploring Narrow Value Range (light), Narrow Value Range (dark) and Broad Value Range.
Project #3 Design Process Review
Lab: Painting Prep Demo
Watch this step-by-step video
- Locate your original (highest-resolution) self-portrait and rename it: yourname-selfportrait.jpg.
- Open the file in Photoshop: File > Open
- In Photoshop, locate the Layers Palette: Window > Layers
- From the Adjustment Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette, add a Posterize Adjustment Layer to simplify your values. Adjust until you have between 5-10 levels. You should be able to pick out light, midtone, and dark values.
- Save your file as yourname-selfportrait-posterize.jpg
- Print your portrait to tabloid paper at Staples or Kinkos/FedEx or any print shop.
- Make sure that “Scale to Fit Media” is NOT checked.
- Your image should be approximately 9″x12″ when printed so that you can trace it to Bristol.
Homework Due Next Class
- Final Value Self Portrait
- Complete Painting Prep.
- Bring your Painting Prep printout to the next class and be prepared to paint.
- Next class/Thursday is the last day to re-submit Project #1 to improve your grade!
Materials Needed For Next Class
- bristol pad
- tracing paper
- 2 small jars to hold paint
- brushes, if you have them.
- two water containers (yogurt cups, soda bottles with tops cut off, soup cans)
- palette (round 10-well) or plastic take-out container.
- cotton rags or paper towels (old white t-shirts or scraps)